Sunday, May 24, 2015

Entry #6 to the Lead Painters' League: 'Reds 1918'


My interest in the Russian Civil War began this past winter as a 'little side project' but, as these things often go, has slowly grown out of all proportion with various armoured cars, herds of cossacks and even an armoured train (!) all vying for space on my hobby desk. It's a bit ridiculous actually. To be honest, when I first contemplated getting into the period I was concerned that it would be too boring, with nothing but browns, greys and khaki to look forward to. Nonetheless I soon discovered that the uniforms of the RCW were actually quite colourful and incredibly varied, such as these Kronstadt sailors below who first fought for the Bolsheviks, but ended up as hunted fugitives after refusing to come to heel under the Soviets. 


Another thing I quite enjoy is that the combatants frequently carried huge honkin' banners, usually emblazoned with cryptic political slogans, imperial heraldry or religious iconography. That being said, at times they could also be quite simple affairs, featuring a single colour, like this Red banner proudly being held by a female commissar.


Several of the figures (and the armoured car) pictured above were completed during the last Painting Challenge, so I decided to top them up with another half dozen assorted models for the LPL.


The prone MG team and riflemen are from Copplestone whereas the NCO is from Musketeer and the female Commissar is an Artizan casting.


Similar to my Wars of the Roses figures I'm using red and white flowers on the bases to denote Soviet and White Russian combatants.


I really can't face that armoured train right now, so onto something else, wot!

Next up: French Indochina, 1954


15 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Curt! Your use of the various coloured flowers is a great idea. The basing in general is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine additions to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking stuff mate. Artizan and Copplestone are lovely and mix very well don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent I must say Curt! I really need to remember that flower idea when you have similar looking armies. I would like to start this period, but as you know I already have the project bench quite full.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully painted and based Comrade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work dude - those look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words everyone! Your comments are very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so bolshilly beautiful in their own Stalinist style, in the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance comrade. Oodles of colourful courage with these lovely mini's

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning work Curt, what a fabulous group and beautifully held together by the gorgeous basing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice figures and really nice painting. A lot of effort on the bases which helps even more. Top work.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I´m not sure if I have put here my comment... Fantastic painting work, Curt. They are fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Dave, Michael, Brendon and Juan for the supportive comments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)